Lean French toast bake


I have loved french toast ever since I first had it, but I have never made it at home because it just feels so time consuming. With it being winter and I am wanting everything warm and baked so I decided to give a 'french toast casserole' a try. Since I am on a weight cut I need it to be as macro friendly as possible which meant I need to cut the fat and add in some protein. Therefore,  I present you with a Lean French Toast Casserole.






Needs:
8 pieces Alpine sprouted bread
1 cup egg whites
1 whole egg
1 cup non fat milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Spray oil
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup honey
(optional 2 tbsp honey and 2 tsp raw sugar)

Baking dish
Medium sized mixing bowl
Small mixing bowl 
Measuring utensils. 

Being with preheating the oven to 375 degree F.


Spray dish with oil
Roughly chop the bread pieces
Layer bread into the baking dish.
Set to the side.
In a medium sized mixing bowl combine egg whites,  egg,  milk, vanilla extract  and 1 tbsp cinnamon. Whisk together.
In a separate mixing bowl pour in a 1/4 cup of honey.  Microwave for 30 seconds and then mix in the remaining  cinnamon.
Pour the liquid mixture over the bread in the baking dish
Toss around to make sure all peices get soaked. 
Drizzle the cinnamon and honey mixture across the top

Set in 375 degree over and bake for 45 minutes
Remove from oven and top with desired topping. (We brush honey over the top followed by a sprinkle of raw sugar)
Let cool for 10 minutes.
Cut and serve.

Make 8 servings.



Comments