2017 Goals Revisit and Reflection.




To read the original post go here Top 6 Goals for 2017
To read about why I have goals AND resolutions this year take a peek at Top 6 Resolutions for 2017



01. Get organized room by room

We have decided to stay another year in our house and since we have already started to declutter I figured why not make in a resolution to not just declutter, but to also organize.....

How'd we do?
Well, we have a grand total of 9 "rooms" in our house. We have a living room/ dining room combo, open kitchen, three bedrooms, 2 bedrooms, a garage, and a master bed closet with is basically a room if you added a window to it. We managed to organize 4.5 of them. Which is half of the house; which I also say is pretty darn good. The rooms we got to (and kept organized by the way) were the spare bathroom, living room (including doorway), dining room, master bathroom (even though I have been re-re organizing it almost once a month to keep it that way, I guess that is just called cleaning though....) and parts of the kitchen. One aspect I didn't think about was when organizing one room, you can cause another room to get unorganized since you're trying to figure out where everything needs to go. At one point I thought I had had our master bedroom closet organized, until the living room and dining room got organized. I now understand why getting organized can take so.freaking.long. 

02.Pay off non-recurring debt by June

Obviously some debt is good debt and any financial advisor will tell you that. Our recurring debt is our credit card which we pay off immediately.....
How'd We do?
Pretty well! All tickets, school payments, and mostly medical bills got paid off. We still have some stuff to get to as stuff from years ago pops up and due to moving around so much a lot of bills got lost or forgotten. I think I might make this more of a yearly resolution than a goal.

03.Read at least 4 new, not work related, books this year. 

As an English teacher I get to read a few books throughout the year. They are never new though considering 99% of the books we have to read I already read in high school....

How'd I do?
Outstanding! I read a total of 4 books plus a few bits and pieces of others. The books I finished were: The Hunger Games, Armada, Tell Me Three Things, and Sorrows of An Empire. I also picked up Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies and read a few chapters. This book has taken me close to 8 years to read. Thinking I won't finish it for another two just so I can have a full 10 years.  For next year I should/will also include some personal development ideas as well.


04. Finish two of my video games!

Probably FINALLY finish Skyrim and Dragon Age. They are long and very interactive and the lore behind them is so interesting......
How'd I do?
I sorta did it? I finished one games completely, Stardew Valley! However.. I started two new games and those are also not finished. With how crazy this year got with work and working out whenever I did have time to game I just played the Sims because it was easy.


05. Switch to all steel/glass/wooden cookware

We are well on our way. I just feel like steel/glass/wood not only last longer than plastic and non-stick, but they are also better for you and easier to clean. 

How'd We do?

Pretty much rocked this one as well!!! We have some random plastic containers, spoons, and spatulas confined to one cupboard however those are just extra and used in emergencies. We also decided to keep the water bottles because those can always come in super handy when biking, hiking, or hunting. We still have our large metal containers for daily use. It was definitely a long term process and keeping an eye for any sales or coupons we could find. Our main focus was also replacing our plastic with dishes that had multiple uses. For example, we purchase close to 4 packs of pyrex glass storage containers. Since they are glass you can bake in them and then store what you made in the same container. So that meant way less clutter, dishes to wash, and time spent meal prepping. Win-win-win!

06.Take a cruise or large trip.

I don't feel like this one needs an explanation.

How'd We do?
OUTSTANDING! We took one big trip and a few minor trips. The biggest trip we took was to New Orleans.  I am still typing up our adventures so getting to relive the vacation almost every week has been a lot of fun. Like I have said before, I might be slow at getting stuff out, but I do this as a hobby and sometimes sitting down to write can be hard. The mini-trips we took were to Lake Charles and Dallas. Still wanting to take a cruise though, lol. 

 O v e r a l l

Overall, looking back at the goals I set for myself and seeing how much I accomplished it was a pretty successful year. I won't be posting this year's goals and resolutions until Feb 1st, at the latest, because I like to let the year get started before really thinking about what needs to get done. I will definitely be carrying over some of these goals or moving them to resolutions. Even though it is a new year, it doesn't mean you have to start from zero. 

Questions:

  1. If you set resolutions/goals last year, how did YOU do?
  2. Are you going to be carrying any over into 2018?
  3. What is one of your prouder moments from 2017?





Comments